Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Altec 291-16C: Need info please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Altec 291-16C: Need info please

    So if a 288G=291B (different phragm of course) what is the 291C the same as? They appear to have a bigger AlNiCo motor like the 288G, 288H, and 291B. Do they have a tangerine phase plug? Are the 291C=288H

    I have a single 288G that I have been looking for a match. I know I could also use a 291B and change the diaphragm. Would these 291C be a match or are they different? I cant find a spec sheet
    Last edited by Elitopus1; October 26th, 2016 at 04:19 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 291-16C: Need info please

    the "C" version had to be right at the very end of the Alnico era for Altec.

    I think Bill is probably going to be the source of the most definitive answer.

    Exactly when did the terminal, and lead in wire convention on the diaphragms change?

    Perhaps the difference between the B and C suffixes is reflective of that?
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 291-16C: Need info please


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 291-16C: Need info please

    Pretty sure the magnet assembly is same between B and C

    I suspect diaphragm is different, suggestion to check with Bill is good
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 291-16C: Need info please

    I called Bill today but he must have been busy because he didn't answer. I'll try again tomorrow.

    The 291C driver itself looks identical to the 291B etc. I am curious which phase plug they have

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 291-16C: Need info please

    Quote Originally Posted by Elitopus1 View Post
    I called Bill today but he must have been busy because he didn't answer. I'll try again tomorrow.

    The 291C driver itself looks identical to the 291B etc. I am curious which phase plug they have
    I believe the 291C body = the 288H body, including the tangerine phase plug.


  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 291-16C: Need info please

    Seller sent me a pic. Sorry for the crappy quality. Tangerine!

    1

    Bill says these are the same as the 288H
    Last edited by Elitopus1; October 26th, 2016 at 08:57 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.